Friday, December 22, 2006

Welcome

Many thanks to our friend Sharon who has established this blog, and set up our beautiful web page. She truly is a genius at this stuff.

I want to talk a little about my experience with Women in Black and how it has helped me cope with the past 3 1/2 years. The Westminster chapter was started 4 years ago by a lovely couple who had come across it in Baltimore. I happened across their vigil and joined immediately. I find it a useful outlet for all the frustration I feel about what is happening in our country. I felt from the beginning that the war in Iraq was unnecessary and just plain wrong, but like many others, was afraid to voice my opinion. WIB gave me a safe outlet, a place to be with others of the same mindset. It was a huge relief, because the US was a scary place if you did not support the war and Bush. And although we got some negative reactions, middle fingers, cursing and the like, the positive reactions always, always outweighed the negative. It was very affirming and gave me the courage to continue to support a peace process and protest the war machine.

I would like to hear from others on what WIB has meant to them....Peace maggie

4 comments:

Black Cat said...

Thanks Maggie..youre the inspiration.
Of all places, I read about the WIB Westminster in the Carroll County Times, but had no idea what this group was about. Im not a joiner, but I did attend the 2005 vigil for the "2000 dead in iraq" because I am a "Move On" member, and was curious. I didnt meet up again with any WIB members until this summer, and started to attend the bi monthly vigils, gradually speaking with other members. To say Im a loner would be an understatement. But now I am enjoying the solidarity, and the humanity and hoping that whatever small contribution I can make, will be worthwhile.
I had a web site that received 1.5 million hits a month, it was anti war and other things, but personal interaction is much better than posting.
I am hoping that this blog will help to bring out our thoughts and ideas, and not make Maggie work too much ( ! ) The tide has turned, but there is still so much more to do to ensure we do not escalate into this type of war ever again.

Black Cat said...

ps/ I forgot my Google user name is "Mimi Miata".. ha..of course this is Sharon

Dame said...

Hi .I am posting from Vancouver /Canada /and happen To be Sharon's "cyber" friend .I am very proud of My Friend Sharon being part of this movement ..

In the past few months I was watching with great interest this group anti war protests and raising the public awareness against violence and war.I Firmly believe the women movement is the way what can and will make a difference !!! The last few years became a nightmare and man made disaster thanks to a gang of incompetent leaders telling lies and falsehoods and making damn reckless actions with terrible consequences..
Ever wondered why the last several years women were somewhat
out Of the picture"??? beligerent Gun Toting Men seem to took over the world and on Both sides !!! Meaningful realistic diplomacy is out of the window??? Like we lost our senses and powerlust took over .
Only woman can stop this nonsense . We are the MAJORITY !!

I think woman are generally pushed aside … simple ignored and not participated enough.. Violent men are to blame most of the destructions and wrongs. In my view “The Warrior “ mentality is part of the problem.

I am very proud of My Friend Sharon being part of this movement ..

marta

Black Cat said...

Thanks Marta.. I wish you were here so you could participate, you would be as asset !